Friday, September 14, 2012

Construction jacket–part 3

Today I managed to sew the main part of the body and the collar. This is the undercollar after interfacing. Both fabric and hair canvas are cut on the bias. The roll line is stitched with parallel lines. After sewing the upper and under collar together, I turned the seam allowance of the under collar and catchstitched them to the hair canvas. It was all going so smoothly that I forgot to take photos of this step.

 

Now I’ve constructed the main part I think that I’ve used the wrong color zipper. This zipper is the right color off-white, but it pops out too much. A grey or sand colored zipper will be much better. Though not real fun to unpick the zipper, the jacket is still in a state that it can relatively easy be done, apart from the fact that I’ll have to go to a shop or market tomorrow to buy a new one.

What do you think? (the collar is only provisionally turned, some trimming seams and pressing to be done.

   

14 comments:

  1. Yes, unfortunately, the darker zipper is better. The jacket is really looking good. I wish mine were as far along! I am still fine tuning my muslin. Maybe I'll be ready to cut out tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the contrast of the off white zipper. If it wasn't supposed to show it would be done differently, but it is part of the design and I think it looks good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing such detailed pictures of your jacket construction. I like the pop of the off-white zipper; though a shade of brown closer to that of the jacket would work as well.

    Thank you for the encouragement as well. It's been rough.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I agree, the darker zipper is much better. You are right. But at least you caught it early enough.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The jacket is looking good. Would a tea dyed zipper work?

    Theresa in Tucson

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree that the white pops too much and although the grey looks ok, if you were going have to go to the shops I would look at the sand colour - the tea idea might work too - I did that for my Chanel jacket trim.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks great so far! I think a sand coloured zipper would be best, but the grey is not bad.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I personally like the white zipper. I would make my choice based on what pants I planned to wear with it. Love the fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's looking great. The white is too obvious. The grey is much better.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm with the white group. I think the gray isn't a close enough match and the off-white is the right color and looks like an intentional contrast that isn't jarring.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I dont mind the white. The greay is a bit dull I think .

    ReplyDelete
  12. Probably not a good idea to ask our opinions - we all have different ideas! I'd use a black zip with gold metal teeth.

    ReplyDelete
  13. So I have a dumb question. All the stitching on the undercollar, does it show on the right side of the fabric? I've never been able to figure this out.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I agree that the darker zipper is more suited with the choice of fabric you got. Nevertheless, good job! Click here here for brother sewing machine reviews.

    ReplyDelete